A student's school and resident school district is based on where the student resides. In some circumstances, a family may ask to transfer their student to a school outside of their resident district. This is called a nonresident student transfer. You may also hear it referred to as an out-of-district transfer, interdistrict transfer, choice transfer, variance, waiver, or school choice.
- Nonresident students are those who live outside the school district boundaries of the district they are asking to attend.
- Whether the student transfer request is accepted or denied is determined by the school districts. The process a school district uses to determine transfer requests is established in their policies and procedures. Liberty's policy on nonresident student enrollment can be found in Board Policy 3141.
- Both the student's resident district and the nonresident district must approve a transfer prior to the student attending a nonresident district. The resident district “releases” the student, and the nonresident district “admits” the student.
- Denied requests can be appealed by requesting a hearing through the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI). Appeals are heard on OSPI’s behalf by the Office of Administrative Hearings (OAH). OSPI staff does not grant or deny nonresident student transfers.
More information and FAQs can be found on the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) site.
State law requires that choice transfer requests be submitted annually. Applications for returning Liberty choice students are due by June 1. Liberty administration will review requests for new and returning students at the end, beginning, and middle of each school year.
- Inter-District Student Transfer Request Form (Spokane County)
Complete and return the above form each year in any of the following ways:
- Deliver to the Liberty School District office,
- Fax to (509) 245-3288,
- Scan and email to Kyle Rydell at email@example.com, or
- Mail to Liberty School District, 29818 S. North Pine Creek Rd., Spangle WA 99031